The existence of marriage records like Whitfield County Marriage Records is something that is mandated by law because the law itself recognizes the importance of these records. These records are the best form of evidence that one could present in order to prove the existence of the marriage. One may ask why there is a need to prove that a marriage exists, and the answer to that is best understood when one takes into consideration just what marriage does. It is more than just a ceremony that binds two people together, it is something that changes the status of the person who gets married and status is something that follows the person no matter where he or she may go.
Marriage Records Whitfield County, just like all other marriage records, are public records. This means that while they are available to the public, the originals could not be taken from the place where they are kept because they must be kept there so that other people could see them. Copies of these records, however, are available to a person who would request for the same, and such copies, once certified, are deemed prima facie evidence of what is written on them, so much so that a person who would claim that the records are false would have the burden of proving such allegation.
In general, there are two sources of Whitfield County Marriage License Records, and these are either the local or national level sources. The local level source would be from the records division of the local probate court. It must be important to note that the probate court is the authority that had issued the marriage license in the first place, so it stands to reason that they would have copies of the same. Note, however, that probate courts have territorial jurisdictions, so, a local probate court would only have records that they had issued themselves. The procedure to request for a copy of a marriage license at this venue requires the person who desires the record to make his way to the office and make the request in person. Note that while this may mean travel time for those who reside far away from the probate court, this is actually the faster method because the records are made available the same day that they are requested for.
Copies of Public Marriage Records Georgia are also available at the state level, and this would be through the office of vital records of the Georgia Department of Health. The procedure at this level is one that is done through mail, which means that while the person who desires the copy need not go to the office, it is slower because the office could only act once they have received the mailed request for the records. Even then, the request for copies of records must meet the minimum standards set by the office before it could be entertained. The minimum standard includes the inclusion of a money order or check with the request form to answer for the required fee of ten dollars.
Finally, it is also possible to search for marriage records online through the use of online databases. These are internet-based databases and because of that, they are faster and more efficient than the more traditional sources. In addition, most of them charge only the most minimum of fees for the use of their services.
Marriage Records Whitfield County
The procedure given below is the procedure followed at the local level
- Locate the records division of the local probate court
- At the records division, inform the clerk on duty of your request.
- The clerk would then ask you some questions regarding the record you are requesting for. Try to answer as accurately as possible to limit your search parameters.
- Using your answers, the staff would then use their own database to generate a list of all records that match the search criteria that you had given.
- From this list, you should be able to locate the records that you want. Identify the same and indicate it to the staff.
- The staff would then produce the records that you had requested for.
- Study the records that had been given to you to make sure that these are indeed the records that you want.
- Ask that copies of the same be made for you once you are sure that these are the records that you want.
- Pay the required fee before claiming your copies of the records.
Whitfield County Marriage License Records
The following links should be of some assistance in case of further questions
- Whitfield County
- Clerk of Court
- District Attorney
- Probate Court
- Georgia Department of Health
- Office of Vital Records
- Center for Disease Control Vital Records