Marriage records like Wayne County Marriage Records are some of the most requested for records in the local and state level governments because of the fact that these records are the best evidence that one could present in order to prove the marriage. The question may arise as to why there is a need to prove a marriage and the answer to that lies in the fact that marriage is something that changes the status of a person. Status is something that follows the person no matter where he or she may go, and it attaches upon that same person certain rights and obligations that are binding upon the whole world.
Marriage Records Wayne County can prove the existence of the marriage just by the fact that there are records. There are some jurisdictions that take the existence of the records as prima facie proof of the existence of the marriage, though one must note that the absence of a marriage record cannot be taken as proof that the marriage does not exist for it is possible that the records are just buried so deep that people cannot find the same. In any case, as public records, the originals are supposed to be kept at the place where they are kept, but certified copies of the records are available for the public.
A person who desires to obtain a copy of Wayne County Marriage License Records has two options where he or she could obtain the records. The first of these options would be to search for the records at the local level through the office of the probate court. Note that probate courts have territorial limitations, so a marriage record issued in another county would not have a copy in the probate court of another county. If, however, the marriage license was issued in the county where the searcher is searching for the records, then those records would be made available to the person who requested for the same, usually, within the same day that they are requested for in person. Note that at the local level, there is no request via mail, and all request for marriage records, or any records for that matter, would have to be done in person.
Copies of Public Marriage Records Georgia are also available at the state level through the Office of Vital Records of the Georgia Department of Health. At this level, the procedure would require the person who desires the copy to first download an application form for the same and send the same to the office once it is accomplished. When it is sent, it must be accompanied either by a money order or a check to answer for the required fee. Note as well that a request for records at this level could not be done in person.
Finally, it is now possible to search for marriage records online through the use of online databases. Fast, efficient, and cheap, these online databases do provide substantially the same information as the various government sources, though they provide it using a platform that is easily accessible by anyone because they depend on the internet.
Marriage Records Wayne County
A request for marriage records at the local level should follow the procedure given below
- Locate the records division of the probate court
- At the records division, inform the staff member on duty of your intent to request for marriage records.
- Some questions regarding the record that you are interested in would be asked from you.
- Your answers to these questions would form part of the search criteria, so try to be as accurate as possible.
- The database of the records division would then list all the records that match your search criteria.
- From this list, you would be asked which record or records you want.
- The staff member would then produce the records that you indicated so that you may peruse them.
- Make sure that these are the records that you want before asking that copies of the same be made.
- Pay the required fee before claiming your copies of the records.
Wayne County Marriage License Records
Other helpful information and various other procedures may be accessed through the following links
- Wayne County
- Clerk of Court
- District Attorney
- Probate Court
- Human Resources
- Health Services
- Georgia Department of Health
- Office of Vital Records
- Center for Disease Control Vital Records