The existence of marriage records such as Richmond County Marriage Records is something that is required by law, but to understand the reason behind the requirement imposed by law, one must first understand what marriage records are. Marriage records are the official records detailing a marriage, because while marriage is something that involves only two people, the effect that that marriage would have would be felt around the community, indeed, around the whole world, for marriage is something that changes the status of a person, and status is something that follows the person no matter where he or she may go.
Like all marriage records, Marriage Records Richmond County represent the best evidence that one could show in a proceeding to prove the existence of marriage. This is best illustrated by the fact that there are some jurisdictions where the mere existence of the marriage record with the name of the parties would be taken as prima facie evidence of the existence of the marriage without the tribunal actually going into the contents of the records itself. Of course, the absence of a marriage record does not mean that there is no marriage; it just means that it would be harder to prove the same. Note as well that marriage records are afforded great respect when it comes to the authenticity of their contents.
One may ask where one could get a copy of Richmond County Marriage License Records, and the answer to that would be in one of two sources and one non-traditional source. The first traditional source would be at the local level, and this would be through the probate court, the same office that had issued the license in the first place. Note, however, that probate courts have a limited jurisdiction, thus, it is not possible to search for marriage records in a probate court if that same probate court was not the one that had issued the license in question. The procedure that is followed at this level is one that would require the person who desires the record to actually go to the probate court and make the request there, but note that, of the two traditional methods, this is actually the faster method because the records are, as soon as practicable, made available the same day that they are requested for.
Copies of Georgia Marriage License Public Records are also available at the state level through the office of vital records of the Georgia Department of Health. The procedure followed here requires the person who desires the copy to first acquire the request form and accomplish the same. Once accomplished, the form should then be sent to the office together with a money order or check to answer for the required fee which is ten dollars plus an additional five dollars for every additional copy of the exact same record that would be requested for at the same time.
The non-traditional source of marriage records would be online databases. These are internet-based databases that provide substantially the same information as the various government sources, but they use a platform that is faster and more efficient, and these advantages transfer to their searches as well. In addition, most of them charge only the most minimum of fees for the use of their services.
Marriage Records Richmond County
When requesting for copies of marriage licenses, the procedure given below should be followed
- Head to the records division of the probate court
- At the records division, inform the staff member on duty of your intention.
- The staff would then ask you some questions regarding the records that you want to get. Try to answer as accurately as possible to limit the search parameters.
- Your answers would be inputted into the search database of the office and the database would return all records that match your given search criteria.
- From the list provided, locate the record that you are interested in and indicate this to the staff member.
- The records would then be produced for your perusal.
- Make sure that these are the records that you are searching for. You could then request that copies of the same be made for you.
- Pay the required fee before claiming your copies of the records.
Richmond County Marriage License Records
The following links should be of further assistance
- Richmond County
- Clerk of Court District Attorney
- Probate Court
- Law Library
- Law Department
- Georgia Department of Health
- Office of Vital Records
- Center for Disease Control Vital Records