Before two people can get married, they must first obtain the necessary consent, not only from each other, but also from the state. This is because the state needs to be sure that those who are getting married are indeed capacitated to get married. There are a number of things that could affect the capacity of a person to marry, but the most common that could be used to prevent the marriage from happening is because one of the parties was already married. To be aware if the person is already married, there is often the need to resort to marriage records like Franklin County Marriage Records, because these are the best evidence that could be presented in order to prove the existence of marriage.
Marriage Records Franklin County are public records, and because of that classification, they are under the umbrella of the presumption of regularity of business. This means that the contents of the records are always presumed to be correct, and the person who would claim otherwise would have the burden to prove such allegation, which is not always easy. The presumption of regularity is so great that there are even some jurisdictions who would no longer inquire as to the contents of the records if the records could be proven to exist.
Thus, it is important to be aware where one could get a copy of Franklin County Marriage License Records. There are two general sources where one could get a copy of the record, and the first would be at the local level through the records division of the local probate court. Before a search should be done here, however, the searcher must note that the local probate court is just that, local. If the license was issued somewhere else, then the record would be there, and the search should, thus, be done there. The procedure at this level, no matter where, is the same, and that is that the person who wants the record should first go to the local probate court and make the request for the record at the records division. Note that of the two methods, this is the faster method because the records would be made available, as much as possible, within the same day that they are requested for.
Copies of Georgia Marriage License Records may also be obtained at the state level, and this would be through the Georgia Department of Health, specifically, the Vital Records Unit. The procedure here would require the person who desires the copy to first obtain the necessary request form. The same may be downloaded from the website of the department. Once accomplished, the form should be sent to the office for processing. When the form is sent, it must be accompanied by a money order or check to answer for the required fee which is fifteen dollars.
It is also now possible to search for marriage records online through the use of online databases. These are fast and efficient platforms for searching because they are internet-based. Such would mean that they could be accessed from just about anywhere where there is an internet connection, and the information that they provide is substantially the same as that of the various government sources.
Marriage Records Franklin County
A request for marriage records at the local level should follow the procedure given below
- Make sure that the records was issued by the local probate court
- Make your way to the probate court and their records division.
- At the records division, inform the clerk on duty of your intention to request for marriage records.
- The clerk would ask you some questions regarding the record; try to answer as accurately as possible.
- The answers that you provided would then be inputted into the search software of the records division.
- The software would then search through all of the records in the office for all records matching the criteria given.
- From this list, you would be asked to identify the record that you want.
- The clerk would then produce the record or records that you had indicated for your perusal.
- Make sure that these are the records that you want before asking that copies be made.
- Pay the required fee before claiming your copy.
Franklin County Marriage License Records
The following links may be consulted for other information
- Franklin County
- County Clerk
- Clerk of Court
- Probate Court
- Georgia Department of Health
- Office of Vital Records
- Center for Disease Control Vital Records