While marriage is something that would bind only two people together, it is something that affects the whole community, indeed, it affects the whole world. This is because marriage is something that changes the status of a person, and it is this status that attaches upon the person certain rights and obligations that are binding upon the whole world. These rights and obligations are exclusive to married people, hence, there is sometimes the need to prove the existence of the marriage, and when one seeks to prove the existence of a marriage, the best evidence that one could provide are marriage records like Washington County Marriage Records.
Marriage Records Washington County is the best evidence to use in proving the existence of the marriage for two reasons. First is the fact that marriage records are available to any person who would request for the same, and seconds is the fact that marriage records enjoy the presumption of regularity. The first means that the records, or at least certified copies of the records, may be obtained by anyone from the source of the records. The seconds means that a person who would allege that the records are false would have the burden of proving such allegation.
Marriage Records Washington County
Start 14-Day Free Trial
In general, there are two places where copies of Washington County Marriage License Records may be obtained, and these would be the local and the state level. When one knows where the marriage license was issued, then the best place to search for the records would be the probate court or local level. The probate court, however, is limited in the sense that they could only issue copies of marriage records that they had issued before, hence, there may be the need to travel to the place where the record was issued. Nevertheless, a search at this level is faster than a search at the national level because the records here are, more often than not, made available at the same day that they are requested for.
Copies of State of Georgia Marriage Records are also available at the state level through the Office of Vital Records of the Georgia Department of Health. The procedure at this level would require the person who desires the copy to first obtain the application form and accomplish the same before sending it, together with a money order or check to answer for the required fee, to the office for processing. The required fee is ten dollars for the first record, plus an additional five dollars for every additional copy of the exact same record that would be requested for at the same time.
In recent years, internet searches have become common, and marriage records could now be obtained online through the use of such online databases. These databases are not only faster and more efficient, they are also cheaper to use because most of these databases would only charge the most minimum of fees for the use of their services. In addition, they do provide substantially the same records as the government and other traditional databases.
Marriage Records Washington County
Follow the procedure given below when searching for marriage records at the local level
- Make sure that the marriage license you are seeking was issued in Washington County.
- Locate the records division of the probate court and head to the same.
- At the records division, inform the clerk on duty of your intention to request for marriage records.
- The clerk would ask you some questions regarding the records that you are interested in.
- The answers that you give would be inputted in database search software that would then search for all records matching your search criteria.
- From the results of the software, you would be asked to identify the record or records that you wish to see.
- The clerk would then produce the records that you had indicated.
- Look into the records to make sure that these are the records that you want before asking that copies of the same be made.
- Pay the required fees before claiming your copies of the records.
Washington County Marriage License Records
Additional information may be obtained through the following links