It seems to be an invasion of privacy for the government to keep the records of a marriage after the same had been recorded and celebrated, but the truth of the matter is, the keeping of such records is something that is dictated upon by practicality. The existence of a valid marriage is one of the prerequisites for some rights, obligations, duties, and responsibilities, and often, these are being claimed not by the parties to the marriage, but by a third person. When one takes this into consideration, it is easy to see why marriage records, such as Santa Barbara County Marriage Records, are some of the most requested for records in the government.
As public records, Marriage Records Santa Barbara County are supposed to be available to the public at all times, but this is only true when it comes to informational copies, which could not be used for official proceedings. The reason for this is because public records have the presumption of authenticity working for them, thus, the records that could be used for official proceedings, certified copies, could only be requested for by a person who is amongst those enumerated in an exclusive list provided for by law. In all respects, however, informational and certified copies are the same.
Now, there are many sources of Santa Barbara County Marriage License Records, but probably the best place to search for the same would be the office of the clerk-recorder. This is because the clerk-recorder is the official custodian of the records. There are three methods to request for the records at this office, in person, through mail, or through fax. A request in person is, just as the name implies, a search to be conducted at the office of the clerk. This is probably the simplest of the three methods, but would require the searcher to actually be there at the office to pull it off. The second method is to request for the records through mail. This would require the downloading of an application form and some formal requisite compliance, namely, the form must be notarized and a sworn statement appended thereto, but it is relatively easy and fast. The last method would be to request for the records through fax, and while this is the fastest, one must note that one could not request for certified copies through fax and a credit card would be required. In all of these methods, the required fee is fifteen dollars.
Public Marriage Records California are also available from the California Department of Public Health, and a request for the records here should follow the procedure at the local level when requesting for records through mail, because this is the only method available at the state level sources.
The fastest way to search for marriage records would be to search for the same online using online databases. There are a number of such databases that provide that service, and most of them provide their services for free. As they are internet searches, using these databases promises a faster and more efficient search from the home of the user, without the need to fall in line.
Marriage Records Santa Barbara County
The procedure for the three methods is given below
- Requesting for the records in person
- Head over to the office of the recorder in person and locate their records division.
- Inform the clerk on duty of your request
- You would be asked to fill up an application form. Submit the same after you are done with it.
- The clerk would ask what type of record you are requesting for, certified or informational.
- If you are requesting for certified copies, the clerk would ask you to make a sworn statement and would have to notarize your application form.
- Pay the required fee of fifteen dollars per record requested for.
- The clerk would then process your request.
- Typically, the records are released at the same day, but there are instances when this is not possible.
- Requesting for the records through mail.
- Download the required application form
- Fill up the application form. Note that requests for certified copies require that you comply with the formal requisites.
- Determine your required fee
- Make a money order or check to answer for the required fee
- Send all requirements to the office for processing
- Request for the records through fax
- Download the required application form
- Fill up the application form. Note that there are no formal requisites because you cannot ask for a certified copy anyway.
- Send the application form to the office of the recorder fax
- Follow this up with submitting the credit card authorization form.
Santa Barbara County Marriage License Records
Further information and procedures may be obtained from the following links
- Santa Barbara County
- District Attorney
- Public Health
- California Department of Public Health
- Center for Disease Control