There are several reasons why people request for copies of marriage records such as Highlands County Marriage Records. One of these reasons is because the official record is always going to be the best evidence to prove something, and marriage records are the official records of the existence of the marriage. Of course, one must also consider why it is important to know if the marriage had existed or not. The reason why the existence of the marriage is important is because there are some rights that would only be available to a person if he or she is married, just as there are some obligations that may only be demanded from the person if he or she is married.
Note that at the core of Marriage Records Highlands County would be a valid marriage license, just as the core of any marriage record would be a valid marriage license, though marriage license would not validate the existence of the marriage as a marriage license would only prove the existence of the marriage license itself. This is the reason why there are more records in the collection than just the marriage license, though it is safe to say that if there is no valid marriage license, then there is no marriage at all, even if the other records are all in accordance with the law.
Copies of Highlands County Marriage License Records may be obtained from a variety of sources, but in general, those sources are classified as local or county level sources and national or state level sources. The county level source is the office of the county clerk. This is because the county clerk is the official recorder and custodian of all public records within the borders of the county. The method that is being used at this level would be to make the request in person, though it would help if the person making the request is already aware of the document identification number which could be obtained online through the use of the database of the office. A request for the records in person may mean that the searcher has to be at the office to affect the search, but such a search is usually faster because the records would be made available at the same day that the request is made.
Another source of Marriage Records Florida would be the state or national level sources, and this would be through the Office of Vital Records of the Florida Department of Health. At this level, the procedure that is being followed is to make the request for the records through mail. Although this would free the searcher from having to actually go to the office to make the request there, do note that requesting for the records through mail actually takes longer, as the processing time at this level is usually between four to six weeks. The required fee at this level would be five dollars for the first records, plus four dollars for every additional copy of the same record that would be requested at the same time. This fee must accompany the application form in the form of a money order or check.
Perhaps the best source of marriage records, or any records for that matter, would be online databases. Online databases depend on the internet, and because of this, they are fast, efficient, and could be accessed from just about anywhere where there is a substantial internet connection. In addition to the fact that they provide substantially the same information as the various government offices and agencies, they are also mostly free to use, with the site owners charging the most minimum of fees for the use of their services.
Marriage Records Highlands County
The procedure that must be followed at the local level is given below:
- At the office of the county clerk, head over to their records division
- Inform the clerk on duty of your intention to request for copies of marriage records
- The clerk would ask you some questions regarding the document that you are interested in, including the document number which you may obtain online using the online database of the clerk
- The clerk would then use the information that you had provided – if you do not have the document identification number – to locate all records matching your search criteria.
- You would be shown the results and from these results, you must locate the one that you are interested in.
- The clerk on duty would then present you the document that you had requested for.
- Make sure that these are the records that you want before requesting that copies of the same be made.
- Pay the required fee before claiming your copies of the records.
Highlands County Marriage License Records
The following links should be able to provide further assistance and procedures when requesting for copies of marriage records.
- Highlands County
- Clerk of Courts
- Document Search
- Official Records
- State Attorney
- Judicial Circuit
- County Court House
- Florida Department of Health
- Florida Office of Vital Records
- Center for Disease Control Where to Write